Mulga Creek

Found this one today, flipping through one of Grace's books on the kitchen table. I was sure I'd checked this book before, but there it was on the second page. And for some reason, this scene with the clothes line in the background really appeals to me today. Maybe it's the relentless and cliched Australianess, even though it's not a Hills Hoist. Maybe there's a seasonal appeal. The first two pages, " Mulga creek is a peaceful town which lies between the two larger towns of Gumbrae and Wattletree Ridge. Each year it holds an Autumn Festival, to celebrate the harvest. "

Obviously there's no drought in Mulga Creek because it's all rather jolly.
from Welcome to Mulga Creek, Pam Sheldrake, illustrated by Jane Burrell, Dent Australia 1988

Sometimes out there in internetland, I feel as though Australia is backward and somewhat quaint. I mean it's still really common to use clothes lines here. Instead of dryers. Lots of people have dryers too, but I don't know anyone that always uses their dryer instead of the clothesline. Well maybe I do, but it is the norm that we hang our washing outside to dry, even in winter. Blessed (or cursed) with a sunny and reasonably dry climate probably helps. Most houses would have a clothes line, even if it's a fold out tucked down the side of the house so as not to interfere with the landscaping. And I don't think that there would be many (if any) housing estates that ban outdoor lines, although I imagine some blocks of flats might.

Not much else to say really, except that it is autumn and even if we're not having a harvest festival (not a good year in our garden, what with water restrictions and the heat), it just feels right with warm and golden colours. And check out the kangaroo delivering letters. Probably keeps them in his pouch.


5 comments:

  1. Washing lines are The Future, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the same blog you must have about the first washing line! I too - an Aussie - and staunch washing line user was surprised by this. In fact I keep blabbing on to my husband about it - "don't their clothes end up ruined?" "Clean sheet smell wouldn't be the same." Is it any wonder that the American people are the number one energy users in the world? Every time I use my drier (not aften last year with the drought) I am frightened i'll be struck down - guilt over energy use and huge electric bill. Anyway - love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have one of those washing lines when I was growing up, funny how it can make you feel nostalgic because it seemed so large and I was so small. Maybe Grace will be the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol - well, we here in England are probably rainier and cooler than you typically are but most people I know peg out washing. I am just horrified by the thought of a dryer running constantly - it seems so thoughtless and greedy to me. We were given a tumble dryer when my parents needed space, and we have it wired in but even though we have a little boy we seldom use it - maybe once a month, if that. I haven't used it all since January. A washing line is far prettier and far greener!

    ReplyDelete