Peg apron

I'm a fan of leaving clothes pegs on the line. That's why we buy plastic pegs and not the prettier wooden ones. G like to put them in an old fetta cheese bucket which hangs from the line. There's a hole in the bucket for drainage, but it still gets fairly festy. A handful of rotting leaves with the pegs, yuck.

Then cruising blogland a while back, I came upon this and a bit later, this at simplesparrow. Go and check them out, they are beautiful. The comments are interesting too, lots of people not allowed to have clotheslines where they live. As I've said before, this shocks me. Anyway, back to peg aprons, these posts triggered childhood memories of my mother in her old blue dressing gown with a peg apron around her waist, hanging washing in the morning. My grandmother had a peg apron too. I remembered that my mum had made a new apron when she moved to her current home. I asked her if she could bring it over for a photo and always happy to oblige, she did.
As you can see, the old peg apron is very well loved and fraying around the edges. Mum thinks she might make a new one when she moves into her new house over this side of town. I tried it on, and it felt alright, maybe as I'm a mother now I need to carry on the family tradition and make one of my own.


1 comment:

  1. Hi! found your blog from the Refashionistas.
    I, too, hang my clothes out on the line.. and here's a real time saver: when you unpeg your clothes, place the peg back on the line where you removed it. I have one line that's normally used for shirts.. the pegs are spaced exactly where I'll need them. Ofcourse when I put a sheet up, I need to slide them over a bit...
    No apron to use, no extra movements. Ofcourse, I'd still keep/make the apron for tradition's sake.. and for those spares you need.

    ReplyDelete